Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Politeness Plan


David has developed a new code of laws in our house to encourage politeness. Rather than just yelling at people, he now has assigned a helpful task as a fine for each infraction. The three main categories he thought needed to be addressed were "Being Destructive" (Sweep the floor), "Not Sharing" (Dust something), and "Snatching Something Away" (Vaccuum the floor). He wrote them down as the picture shows and keeps it handy where everyone can see.
Last night the kids were playing in the basement, and I heard David shouting at Michael and come stomping upstairs. I asked what was going on, and David stormed over to the closet, grabbed a broom, and shouted, "Michael destroyed my truck, and now he must pay the penalty!" I had forgotten about the politeness plan, so I followed David downstairs to make sure that the penalty wasn't a broom upside Michael's head. David thrust the broom toward Michael and shouted, "You have been destructive, now you must sweep!"
I guess it's far more productive than temper tantrums and hitting!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oh, that's cute. David is a genius! I can have my house spotless in no time!